Sunday, March 04, 2007

Moving from wordpress to blogger

I have been maintaining my Polish blog on Wordpress.com server for more than half a year and become quite fed up of it. Paid upgrades, no access to the source of the style-sheet, and, last but not least, problems with logging in under firefox helped me a lot making my decision.

There's quite a lot written about moving your blog archive from blogger to wordpress. I, however, wanted to do just the opposite, which this turned to be a bit less trivial: Blogger is still beta and doesn't have any of the import/export facilities wordpress can be proud of.

Fortunately, I found a very nice python script which allowed me to make the move without any excessive pain: wordpress2blogger. Many thanks to the author!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I was doing a search on Google and your post came up about moving from WordPress to Blogger. I clicked over on the link you provided but honestly I have no clue how to go about doing this.

Can you offer any suggestions or tips on how I can do this?

Thanks!

Ryszard Szopa said...

My post is quite old and since that time the author of the script has developed it into a GUI program. You can download it from [1].

You should also take a look at the program's FAQ [2]. If I understand well, it should run out of the box as long as you have Java installed on your computer.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions, you can post them here. good luck!

[1] http://code.google.com/p/blogsync-java/downloads/list

[2] http://code.google.com/p/blogsync-java/wiki/BlogsyncFAQ

Tracy said...

Thanks for posting this. I'm gonna give it a try. Everything thinks a person is crazy to go from Wordpress to blogger. However, after generating a lot of traffic on my Wordpress blog and then trying to add widgets and revenue-generating items (both forbidden), I was NOT happy about it. I'd rather have my blog on Blogger where it can benefit me!

Anonymous said...

This tool worked well for me for transferring my blog from Wordpress to Blogger. Hope someone else finds it useful!

http://linuxlore.blogspot.com/2007/09/livejournal-to-blogger-or-blogger-to.html